Steps we’re taking to help the environment and organisations of all sizes
Below you’ll find some of the action we’ve taken in the last year - and some of what’s ahead in 2021 - and beyond - to limit our impact on the environment.
Here’s just some of what we’re doing and what we’ve achieved – plus we’ll be doing more:
- Helping organisations and communities by supporting the Woodland Trust's Plant a Tree to Save the World campaign, helping towards planting 150 trees in the UK. We made the donation for this project in 2020 and the trees are expected to go to communities for planting during 2020 and 2021.
- Going to be trialling two new units that create drinking water from the air, at our main offices in Staffordshire (later in 2021).
- Looking at innovative technologies that work with natural resources, including water and heat energy, so customers can receive the benefits and rewards from these too.
- Increasing the amount of water use data our customers can see and track through data loggers on water meters, helping to highlight water waste through leaks and encourage closer scrutiny of water use and proactive water management. As we know data is an important tool for businesses – and as part of enhancements to our online customer portals – we updated how information on water use is displayed on the AMR portal in 2020, giving greater detail and data analysis - making it even easier to use and saving time for organisations.
Our main offices, based in Staffordshire, are rated Excellent by BREEAM, the Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment, which puts us in the top 10% of buildings in the UK for meeting the most up to date environmental standards.
And we’re raising awareness about water efficiency and cost-savings as well as providing new research to help customers.
- Commissioned and published research on water attitudes in the public and private sector and contingency planning to help organisations
- Partnered with campaigning organisation Waterwise, the leading experts on water efficiency in the UK, to promote water efficiency and innovation in the water market.
- Provided further information and bespoke advice on water-saving for organisations - large and small - to encourage different thinking around approaches to water use.
- Helped organisations reduce water loss and save money through leak detection and repair information and services.
In 2019, we launched a new water efficiency innovation competition, to increase focus and thinking around innovation, new ideas, and thinking specifically for businesses and public sector organisations. Waterwise and Business in the Community (BITC) were on the selection panel for the finalists. It was great to see all the innovative ideas and we look forward to seeing more in the future.
We think about sustainability in what we do and we’re top-rated on this too.
Water Plus is ranked in the top 50% of companies across the world for its approach around Corporate Social responsibility (CSR). The EcoVadis sustainability rating looks at the integration of CSR principles in an organisation. This focuses on 21 issues, which are grouped into 4 themes: Environment (ENV), Labour Practices & Human Rights (LAB), Fair Business Practices (FBP), and Sustainable Procurement (SUP).
Our employees are encouraged to reduce waste going to landfill, increase the number of items recycled and save water at work with regular messaging and a water-saving week held each year.
We also encourage our employees to use the likes of Teams (and Skype in the past), video and tele-conferencing, rather than travelling for meetings to help reduce emissions generated from cars, and, where possible, they’ll also use public transport.
In our offices we recycle paper and waste products including cans, packaging and bottles, wherever possible.
Find out more about sustainability and how we can help you.